Thursday, October 28, 2010

How to make English Google the default for the Opera Mini search bar

I love Opera Mobile (Opera Mini is very much similar, but I use Opera Mobile). But I had a problem with it. I heavily depend on the built-in search-bar. I don't like to browse to every time I want to search something. But, since I have come to Cambodia, when I use the search bar, it displays the Khmer version of the search engine.

The problem is that the script being different and not supported by Opera for mobile devices, I get it as a long chain of random characters and squares. This causes Opera to display the page zoomed out. So, annoyingly, I have to tap the screen once more everytime I have searched for something to zoom back in.

I searched a lot online for a way to make the English language default. But I didn't find anything, so I discovered it myself. So, here's how to do it:
  • Go to from the address bar. If you're reading this on a phone, open this in a new tab.
  • If you get the foreign language version, click ' in English'.
  • When the English homepage shows, click 'Settings'.
  •  Now, make sure that the 'tips and messages' language is English, which should be so, by default.
  • Press save.
  • Try searching for something from the search-bar.
If everything went well, it should work right.

It probably downloads a cookie for your phone, which tells Google that you want the language to be English. If you clear your cookies, this functionality goes away. But you can do the procedure above to fix it back to normal.

Have fun, and have a look at this page. I'm starting to accept guest blogging soon. So stay tuned for more info. Oh yes, and if you are guest blog here, you can promote your own blog too.